Volunteers of America, Inc. (VOA, Inc.) is a national, faith-based human services organization that was founded in New York City in 1896 and has remained at the forefront of social service ever since, helping individuals and families in need overcome obstacles to living safe, healthy and productive lives in the community. The largest of the affiliates, Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) serves tens of thousands of men, women, and children in need every year, through 80 programs staffed by 1,300 skilled and dedicated staff, throughout New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-GNY s life-changing, often life-saving work impacts the lives of individuals and families who are homeless and those at risk of homelessness, families recovering from domestic violence, children with developmental delays, individuals living with HIV/AIDS or behavioral health issues, older adults and veterans struggling to reintegrate. VOA, Inc. is one of the largest providers of permanent, supportive housing in the United States. VOA-GNY is the largest provider of supportive housing for veterans in New York, and is committed to addressing the needs of the community with compassion, creativity, respect, and therapeutic models that inform our work.
The Recreation Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of recreation activities and programming appropriate for the client population.
Associate s degree and one year of relevant experience with a similar populations or high school diploma or GED with at least two years relevant experience.
1. Plan, coordinate, publicize, implement and facilitate support groups, recreational activities, special events and holiday programs. Update and post printed materials and encourage client participation.
2. Assist in the development and implementation of new programs aimed at enhancing clients motivation through socialization and the development of leisure time skills.
3. Coordinate programs with case managers in order to facilitate success of In-Reach sessions.
4. Develop contacts with various sources for off-site activities.
5. Assist in preparing and submitting written and statistical reports.
6. Provide aftercare to assigned clients who have been placed / discharged from the facility.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS
1. Programs and activities will be in line with program goals and objectives; clients will have access to an array of support, socialization and recreational activities.
2. Socialization activities will be enhanced to increase to client involvement and develop their socialization skills clients will be engaged and receptive to program services.
3. Clients will be consistently engaged to accept program services and immediate needs addressed.
4. Program will have an array of resources to enhance clients socialization skills.
5. Data collected will be accurate and complete and reports will be completed and submitted on time.
6. The outcomes/results for the client and the program will be successful; reduced recidivism rate.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...